You have the option of banning users from posting to your site. You can achieve this through one of two locations, on any article that the specific user has commented on or from the Viafoura Admin Center.
On this page, you will learn the following:
- How to ban a user from an article
- How to ban a user from the admin site
- How to remove a ban
- How to ban an IP address
Please note: You must be logged in as a site administrator or moderator to perform these functions.
Go to a comment the user has made and click on the gear icon to the top right of the comment. You will see an option to Ban user. Clicking on this will permanently ban the user and remove all comments the user had made on the site. As a moderator or administrator you will continue to see the user’s comments, however other users will not. Once you ban a user from an article, you cannot remove the ban from them at this point, removing a ban is only possible from the Admin Center.
You can ban a user from either the Users or Moderation areas. To ban a user from the User area, please follow these steps:
- Search for the user and click on their username to bring up their user profile
- Select the Ban tab and select the ban type
- You can leave a moderator’s note for future reference, and a note to the user, informing them of the ban and the reason for it
- Click Save to apply the ban
Please note: To manage your all user bans, go to the Users tab and select Banned from the left menu.
If you have created a ban on a user and would like to remove the ban, you can do so easily.
- Search for the user in either the User or Moderation areas and click on their username to bring up their user profile
- Go to the Ban tab within their profile and view the active Bans list
- Select Edit to change the ban or Expire to immediately remove the ban
To ban an IP address you will need to find the user through the Moderation area. It is important that you find the user from this screen, and not the Users tab, as the IP address is associated with a comment, not a user.
Please note: An IP address may affect a wide set of users (i.e. a person who is commenting from a work computer in their work office). Banning a single user may result in banning an entire office. Use this option sparingly and for a short duration.
- Search for the user in the Moderation area
- Beneath their avatar picture, select the Ban user button
- You will be brought to the user profile Bans tab
- The ban settings will include the user’s IP address that was found in the comment
- Check the IP address checkbox
- Click Save to enable the ban